Keywords: cardiovascular disease, anti-inflammatory, healthy, dairy-free, high fiber, vegan, vegetarian, dessert, sweet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Equipment: microwave, medium bowl, spatula, spoon, plate or baking tray, measuring cups and spoons
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 medjool dates
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Toppings: sesame seeds, more shredded coconut, cacao nibs (optional)
- Mix the tahini with the shredded coconut and vanilla extract in a small bowl. If your tahini is thin, freeze the mixture for 10 minutes to thicken while pitting the dates.
- Slice the dates in half lengthwise and remove the center pits.
- Divide the tahini filling among the centers of the dates and close the dates around the filling.
- Set the dates on a plate and pop back in the freezer while melting the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate and the coconut oil in a medium bowl in the microwave on medium power for 60 seconds, then microwave in 30-second increments until melted.
- Dip one date at a time into the chocolate, turn until fully coated, then use a spoon to move back onto the plate. Repeat with the remaining dates.
- Sprinkle each date with sesame seeds, shredded coconut, and/or cacao nibs (optional).
- Freeze the dates for 5-10 minutes until the chocolate is hardened, then transfer dates to a sealed container to store in the refrigerator.
- Use sunflower seed butter, almond butter, or peanut butter instead of tahini.
- Add spices like cinnamon, cardamom, or ginger to the tahini filling.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Dates are high in fiber, which reduces their impact on blood sugar by slowing digestion. Tahini is made from sesame seeds and is an excellent source of phosphorus, manganese, thiamine, and vitamin B6, in addition to antioxidants called lignans that help reduce inflammation. Dark chocolate is high in fiber, iron, magnesium, copper and manganese. Be sure to choose chocolate with 70% or more cacao content, which is lower in sugar and higher in these health-promoting compounds.
- These ingredients can be stored for 1-2 years in the pantry, so you can purchase them in bulk to reduce the cost. Look for a local Persian market to buy high quality tahini and dates in bulk.
|Added Sugars (g)||1|
|Vitamin D (IU)||0|