Keywords: Mediterranean, vegetarian, dairy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, one-pot, healthy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Equipment: large sauté pan, measuring spoons, chopping knife, cutting board, large wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and onion. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and spices to the pan. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer.
- Use a large wooden spoon to make small dents in the sauce and crack the eggs into each dent. Cover the pan and let simmer for 7 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Instead of poaching the eggs on top of the sauce, you can scramble in eggs or tofu (to make vegan) into the veggies.
- Add crumbled feta on top for added calcium.
- Keeps for 3 days refrigerated.
- Store in a sealed container.
- Reheat on the stovetop.
- Shakshuka is an excellent way to enjoy a nourishing breakfast filled with veggies and protein. Bell peppers, garlic, onions, and tomatoes are filled with fiber and vitamins, especially Vitamin C and Vitamin K, while the eggs provide protein.
- Buying onions in bulk can help save money as onions can be used for many different recipes and can last long unrefrigerated. Canned tomatoes are also a great way to save money too.
Total Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1/6 of the shakshuka pot (includes 1 egg)
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories: 172 calories||9%|
|Total Fat: 10 g||15%|
|Saturated Fat: 2 g||11%|
|Cholesterol: 164 mg||55%|
|Sodium: 333 mg||14%|
|Total Carbohydrates: 15 g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||15%|
|Added Sugar: 0 g||0%|
|Protein: 9 g||17%|
|Vitamin D: 38 IU||10%|
|Calcium: 88 mg||9%|
|Iron: 3 mg||18%|
|Potassium: 586 mg||17%|