Keywords: healthy, diabetes, high protein
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Equipment: large bowl, knife, measuring spoons, frying pan with lid, spatula
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced 1/2 inch)
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cups canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Spray a large skillet over high heat with oil and brown the turkey, season with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook while breaking the meat up with spatula until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Push the meat to the side, spray the other side with oil and add the onion and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, black beans, corn, tomato, garlic, cilantro and stir with the chicken broth.
- Mix and cover with lid, cook on low for 12 to 14 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Serve with lime wedges and more cilantro.
- Try swapping out the turkey for lean ground beef or diced chicken breast.
- Add extra vegetables like spinach, bell peppers, or squash.
- Add some jalapenos for an extra kick.
- Keeps for 7 days refrigerated in a sealed container.
- This balanced meal provides lean protein from the turkey, Vitamin A and C from the sweet potatoes, and iron and folate from the black beans. There is also plenty of fiber from the veggies!
- This is a great recipe to make in advance and bring to work or school for lunch!
|Added Sugars (g)||0|
|Vitamin D (IU)||16|